The body’s largest organ, skin is often taken for granted. At Windsor Dermatology, we know that how we care for our skin can have a huge impact on how healthy and beautiful it looks and feels. A great skincare routine can not only help improve how your skin looks, it can also help prevent common skin conditions and ailments.
Factors that Could be Affecting Your Skin
1. Not Getting Enough Water: Dehydration may make your skin less supple, which can result in a leathery look and feel. Not exactly a great combination!
The solution? Keep water around at all times and drink it consistently throughout the day.
2. Too Many Chemicals: Harsh chemicals such as chlorine can dry your skin and bleach it.
The solution? Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals, instead, use products that are gentle and natural. Your skin will thank you!
3. Too Much Caffeine: Whether it comes in coffee, tea, soft drinks or energy drinks, excess caffeine may lead to drier skin and more wrinkles.
The solution? Take it easy on the caffeine! If you have trouble with low energy and poor focus throughout the day, start by trying to get a good night’s sleep each night.
4. Poor Nutrition: Skipping a meal, or surviving primarily on chips and sugary junk food, deprives your skin of important vitamins and minerals that it needs.
The solution? Eat a balanced diet and, if necessary, invest in nutritional supplements to give your body the crucial vitamins and minerals it needs to thrive.
5. Too Much Sun: You might not notice the damage from the sun at first, but over time sun worshipping will catch up with you.
The solution? Make sunscreen part of your daily routine and seek shade whenever possible. You may miss out on that killer summer tan, but you’ll thank yourself when you’re older, as your skin will age far more gracefully!
Additional Tips for Maintaining Healthy, Radiant Skin
At Windsor Dermatology, our goal is to get you the healthiest skin possible through the most natural means. We hope you will consider including these methods in your skincare routine:
- Seek out the Best Nutrition for Your Skin: Just as certain foods may hurt your skin, other foods help it. Citrus fruit, green tea, strawberries, leafy greens and almonds have been shown to enhance skin wellness by providing hydration and a good mix of vitamins and minerals.
- Consider Herbal and Natural Products: A long list of natural products can strengthen and beautify skin. A lemon wash helps remove dead cells, reduces spots and improves overall complexion. Honey on the skin moisturizes and fights infections. Aloe Vera soothes irritated skin, stimulates cell growth and heals scars.
- Take Care of Yourself: Getting a good night’s rest and limiting stress will affect your skin in positive ways, as will a balanced exercise regime. In short, what is good for your mind and body is likely to be good for your skin, too.
Natural skin care is a life-long process and an effective way to get the skin you want. If you’d like to speak to one of the experienced physicians at Windsor Dermatology about your skin, contact us to schedule an appointment today!