If you or a loved one is facing psoriasis, it can be frustrating to learn that this disorder does not have a cure. The good news is that you can experience relief with modern therapies and medications. Are there any benefits to opting for a dedicated psoriasis treatment center?
One of the Most Respected Treatment Centers in the United States
Here’s what you can expect when visiting Windsor Dermatology’s Psoriasis Treatment Center of Central New Jersey:
- Personalized therapies: Every immune system is unique, so the effectiveness of psoriasis treatments often depends on the individual. With multiple therapies available at the same location, it’s easier to identify the one that gives you the best results.
- Cutting-Edge Research: As the state’s first complete facility for advanced psoriasis research and therapies, Windsor Dermatology’s Psoriasis Treatment Center is a leader in medical dermatology. This gives our patients access to the latest medical innovations and medications for psoriasis and allows patients the opportunity to participate in clinical trials for new and emerging treatment options.
- Minimal side effects: An important part of fighting this skin condition is finding therapies that help you while avoiding the side effects that you don’t want. Having a wide range of treatment options is key.
- Gentle dermatologists: Doctors who are patient make a difference, because they take the time to evaluate your clinical history and listen to you. Not only does that show you the respect you deserve, but it also better equips our team to find effective treatments.
- Specialized experts: Jerry Bagel, the medical director, is one of the most well-known authorities on psoriasis research and treatment in the world. He is a member of the National Psoriasis Foundation and a frequent writer for the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology.
What Therapies Can You Find at the Psoriasis Treatment Center?
Before recommending a specific treatment, dermatologists first consider the location and severity of your symptoms. Psoriasis treatments fall into four main categories.
1. Light Therapy
Ultraviolet light can help by reducing inflammation, slowing down excessive skin growth and scaling, mildly suppressing immune system activity and reducing itching. Here are a few phototherapy options:
- Ultraviolet A treatment: Psoriasis ultraviolet A treatment pairs an ingested light-sensitive medication with short periods of whole-body UVA exposure. PUVA reaches deeply into the skin and is often used for more severe cases.
- Narrowband ultraviolet B: Featuring quick bursts of narrowband UVB, this treatment is considered safe for use on children and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, and is typically very effective.
- Laser therapy: Instead of applying UVB to your entire body, an excimer laser focuses specifically on affected areas. This allows for higher doses of narrowband UVB and faster results, while still offering the same degree of skin safety.
2. Topical Treatments
Topical creams range from mild to strong and should always be used as directed by a dermatologist. Many corticosteroids provide noticeable relief from mild and moderate psoriasis and may clear up symptoms completely, but the stronger variations are only designed for short-term treatment.
3. Psoriasis Medications
These potent pharmaceuticals are typically used in moderate to severe cases. Medications, such as oral retinoids, may slow the growth of skin cells, fight against inflammation or reduce autoimmune flare-ups. When selecting a treatment involving medication, our doctors clearly explain both the expected benefits and potential side effects you may experience.
4. Biologic Treatments
Biologics are highly specialized medicines generally injected directly into the parts of your body suffering most from the disease. Biologic agents act quickly and are designed for long-term use, but they must be prescribed and monitored carefully by expert dermatologists. For some individuals with severe psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis, biologics provide relief that otherwise seems impossible.
Would You Like to Request an Appointment?
With the care of world-renowned physicians who are interested in your well-being, state-of-the-art technology and access to the latest psoriasis treatments – there are many options available to you at the Psoriasis Treatment Center of Central New Jersey for finding relief from your symptoms. To discover which therapies may work best in your case, or to learn more about specific treatments, call us directly at (609) 443-4500 or schedule an appointment online.