Eczema is a common skin condition that causes red, itchy, swollen skin. Although there is no cure for eczema, there are a few things that you can do to minimize the impact of it on your life.
- Stay away from triggers. There are a variety of reasons patients might experience an eczema flare up. Try to stay cognizant as to what those triggers are and stay away from them. Eczema patients should definitely stay away from fragrant products. They should opt for unscented products without harsh chemicals.
- Moisturize your skin. One of the best ways to minimize the appearance and effect of eczema is to moisturize your skin. We recommend to patients to put lotion on after showering, this will replace the moisture that was lost.
- Try not to scratch. We know, eczema is extremely itchy. Although your instincts might be wanting you to itch your skin, try not to. Doing so will make you itch more, which can lead to damaging the skin and causing an infection. When your skin is itchy, try to use a cold compress and moisturize.
- Wear cotton. Certain fabrics can irritate patients’ skin, so we recommend wearing cotton clothes. In addition, people with eczema should wash new clothes before they wear them to prevent irritation.
- Stress causes flare-ups. Have you noticed that in times of stress, your skin seems itchier than ever? It’s true that when patients experience high levels of stress, their eczema flares-up. Try to limit stress levels by practicing yoga and meditation.
No matter your skin care needs; Windsor Dermatology will solve your problem. We have an excellent team of six board certified dermatologists that take pride in their work and strives for the highest quality care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about the services we offer.