The summer brings warm days, walking around barefoot, community pool visits, and sometimes warts. We have experience treating warts and want to provide you with tips on how to prevent warts this summer.
Before providing tips on how to prevent warts, you need to understand what causes them and how to remove them.
What is the cause of warts on my feet?
Warts are caused by the human papilloma virus or HPV. The warts are tender and can sometimes make it hard to walk. The virus enters the skin through small cuts or breaks. HPV is prevalent in warm conditions, which is why swimming pools in the summer are common spots for exposure.
What are the treatment options for warts?
There are a variety of treatment options available for wart removal. At Windsor Dermatology, we can apply topical treatments, cryotherapy (freezing the wart), surgical removal, and laser treatments.
How can I prevent warts?
There are a few things that you can do to prevent warts. This includes:
- Don’t walk barefoot. It seems simple, but one way you can avoid warts is to keep flip flops on when walking outside, especially on damp surfaces.
- Wash your hands and feet frequently. After touching anything in public places, wash your hands and feet. We recommend to take extra care in washing these areas after visiting a public pool or gym.
- Check your feet daily. During the summer months, you should check your feet regularly for any changes in your skin.
- Go to the doctor. If you notice a lesion that has not been there before, you should immediately make an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist. Treating warts is easier when in the earlier stages.
- Use a separate nail clipper. If you have a wart, or are being treated for warts, you should use a separate nail clipper for the area surrounding the wart.
No matter your skin care needs; Windsor Dermatology will work to solve your problem. We have an excellent team of six board certified dermatologists that take pride in their work and strives for the highest quality care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about the services we offer.