Jerry Bagel, M.D., M.S.
East Windsor, NJ DermatologistWindsor Dermatology
Board Certified Dermatologist Specializing in Psoriasis Treatment in East Windsor, NJ
Dr. Bagel is a nationally recognized expert in the treatment of psoriasis and is regularly invited to speak across the country and internationally about this medical condition and its treatment. Dr. Bagel has been named a Top Doctor in the Castle Connolly Medical Top Doctors of the New York Metro Area every year from 2001-2015. He was named a 2005 New Jersey Top Doctor by New Jersey Life; a Best Doctor in New Jersey by New Jersey Monthly in 2001 and 2003; and received a Patients’ Choice award in 2008 as well as in Inside Jersey in 2013 and 2015. He is a four term member of the medical advisory board of the National Psoriasis Foundation. Dr. Bagel is an Editor of Practical Dermatology and the Assistant Editor of Psoriasis Forum. He has published extensively on the topic of psoriasis in such journals as The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and The Journal of Drugs & Dermatology. Dr. Bagel loves spending his free time at the beach, watching the Mets and enjoying great cuisine!
NPF Excellence in Leadership
Award Recipient, 2018
- Board certified in dermatology
- Psoriasis and Eczema expert
- Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Education: Bachelor of Arts, Boston University; Master of Science, Rutgers University; Doctor of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Internship in Internal medicine: University of Miami-Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Residency in dermatology: College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University
- Practicing dermatology and dermatologic surgery for over 35 years
- Senior Attending Physician at Penn Medicine Princeton Health
- Bagel J, Nia J, Hashim P, et al. Secukinumab Is Superior to Ustekinumab in Clearing Skin of Patients With Moderate to Severe Plaque Psoriasis: CLARITY, a Randomized, Controlled, Phase 3b Trial. 13th Annual Winter clinical Dermatology Conference; July 19-22, Las Vegas, NV.
- 2018 Bagel, J., M.D. & Stein Gold, L. et al. Efficacy and Safety of Apremilast in Systemic- and Biologic-Naïve Patients With Moderate Plaque Psoriasis: 52-Week Results of UNVEIL, JDD 2018 Feb. Vol. 17, Issue 2 pp. 221-228.
- 2018 Bagel, J., M.D., Transitioning Biologic and Systemic Therapies in Psoriatic Patients, Ch. 24 pp 241-245, Yamauchi, Paul S., Editor, Biologic and Systemic Agents in Dermatology; 24 pp 241-245.
- 2017 Bagel, J. & Stein Gold, L. Combining Topical Psoriasis Treatment to Enhance Systemic and Phototherapy Regimens: A Review of the Literature. JDD 2017; 16 pp 611-624.
- 2017 Bagel, J. et al. Secukinumab moderate to severe psoriasis on scalp: JAAD. 2017; 77 pp 659-667.
- 2017 Bagel, J, Callis Duffin, K, Moore, A, Ferris, L. K., Siu, K, Steadman, J, Kianifard, F., Nyirady, J., Lebwohl, M. The Effect of Secukinumab on Moderate-to-Severe Scalp Psoriasis: Results of a 24-Week, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Phase 3b Study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Oct. Vol 77, Issue 4 pp 667-674.
- 2017 Strober, B, Bagel. J, Lebwohl, M, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Apremilast in patients with moderate psoriasis and lower BSA: UNVEIL study. JDD 2017 Vol 16,28 pp 801-808.
- 2017 Bagel J, Tyring S, Rice KC, Collier DH, Kricorian G, Chung J, Iles J, Stolshek BS, Kaliyaperumal A, Papp KA. Open-label study of etanercept treatment in patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis who lost a satisfactory response to adalimumab. Br J Dermatol. 2017 Feb 14. doi: 10.1111/bjd.15381.
- 2017 Duffin KC, Papp KA, Bagel J, Levi E, Chen R, Gottlieb AB. Evaluation of the Physician Global Assessment and Body Surface Area Composite Tool for Assessing Psoriasis Response to Apremilast Therapy: Results from ESTEEM 1 and ESTEEM 2. J Drugs Dermatol. 2017;16(2):147-153.
- 2017 Armstrong AW, Siegel MP, Bagel J, Boh EE, Buell M, Cooper KD, Callis Duffin K, Eichenfield LF, Garg A, Gelfand JM, Gottlieb AB, Koo JY, Korman NJ, Krueger GG, Lebwohl MG, Leonardi CL, Mandelin AM, Menter MA, Merola JF, Pariser DM, Prussick RB, Ryan C, Shah KN, Weinberg JM, Williams MO, Wu JJ, Yamauchi PS, Van Voorhees AS. From the Medical Board of the National Psoriasis Foundation: Treatment targets for plaque psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Feb;76(2):290-298. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2016.10.017. Epub 2016 Nov 28.
- 2017 Callis Duffin K, Bagel J, Bukhalo M, Mercado Clement IJ, Choi SL, Zhao F, Gill A, Pangallo B, Shuler C, Mallbris L, Jackson K. Phase 3, open-label, randomized study of the pharmacokinetics, efficacy and safety of ixekizumab following subcutaneous administration using a prefilled syringe or an autoinjector in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis (UNCOVER-A). J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017 Jan;31(1):107-113. doi: 10.1111/jdv.13768. Epub 2016 Aug 8.
- 2016 Koo J, Tyring S, Werschler WP, Bruce S, Olesen M, Villumsen J, Bagel J. Superior efficacy of calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate aerosol foam versus ointment in patients with psoriasis vulgaris–A randomized phase II study. J Dermatolog Treat. 2016;27(2):120-7.
- 2016 Leonardi C, Bagel J, Yamauchi P, Pariser D, Xu Z, Moller A, Osterdal ML, Stein Gold L. The Aerosol Foam Formulation of the Fixed Combination Calcipotriene Plus Betamethasone Dipropionate Improves the Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients With Psoriasis Vulgaris: Results from the Randomized PSO-FAST Study. J Drugs Dermatol. 2016 Aug 1;15(8):981-7.
- 2016 Callis Duffin K, Bukhalo M, Bobonich MA, Shrom D, Zhao F, Kershner JR, Gill A, Pangallo B, Shuler CL, Bagel J. Usability of a novel disposable autoinjector device for ixekizumab: results from a qualitative study and an open-label clinical trial, including patient-reported experience. Med Devices (Auckl). 2016 Oct 12;9:361-369.
- 2015 Leonardi C, Bagel J, Yamauchi P, Pariser D, Xu Z, Olesen M, Østerdal ML, Stein Gold L. Efficacy and Safety of Calcipotriene Plus Betamethasone Dipropionate Aerosol Foam in Patients With Psoriasis Vulgaris–a Randomized Phase III Study (PSO-FAST). J Drugs Dermatol. 2015 Dec;14(12):1468-77.
- 2015 Griffiths CE, Reich K, Lebwohl M, van de Kerkhof P, Paul C, Menter A, Cameron GS, Erickson J, Zhang L, Secrest RJ, Ball S, Braun DK, Osuntokun OO, Heffernan MP, Nickoloff BJ, Papp K; UNCOVER-2 and UNCOVER-3 investigators. Comparison of ixekizumab with etanercept or placebo in moderate-to-severe psoriasis (UNCOVER-2 and UNCOVER-3): results from two phase 3 randomised trials. Lancet. 2015 Aug 8;386(9993):541-51. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60125-8. Epub 2015 Jun 10.
- 2015 Lebwohl M, Strober B, Menter A, Gordon K, Weglowska J, Puig L, Papp K, Spelman L, Toth D, Kerdel F, Armstrong AW, Stingl G, Kimball AB, Bachelez H, Wu JJ, Crowley J, Langley RG, Blicharski T, Paul C, Lacour JP, Tyring S, Kircik L, Chimenti S, Callis Duffin K, Bagel J, Koo J, Aras G, Li J, Song W, Milmont CE, Shi Y, Erondu N, Klekotka P, Kotzin B, Nirula A. Phase 3 Studies Comparing Brodalumab with Ustekinumab in Psoriasis. N Engl J Med. 2015 Oct;373(14):1318-28.
- 2015 Armstrong AW, Bagel J, Van Voorhees AS, Robertson AD, Yamauchi PS. Combining biologic therapies with other systemic treatments in psoriasis: evidence-based, best-practice recommendations from the Medical Board of the National Psoriasis Foundation. JAMA Dermatol. 2015 Apr;151(4):432-8.
- 2015 Yamauchi PS, Bagel J. Next-generation biologics in the management of plaque psoriasis: a literature review of IL-17 inhibition. J Drugs Dermatol. 2015 Mar;14(3):244-53.
- 2014 Bagel J, Levi E, Tyring S, Knuckles ML. Real-life treatment profile of calcipotriene and betamethasone dipropionate topical suspension in patients with psoriasis vulgaris. J Drugs Dermatol. 2014 Nov;13(11):1374-9.
- 2014 Bagel, J. Biosimilars. J Drugs Dermatol. 2014 Jul;13(7):788-90.
- 2014 Hugh J, Van Voorhees AS, Nijhawan RI, Bagel J, Lebwohl M, Blauvelt A, Hsu S, Weinberg JM. From the Medical Board of the National Psoriasis Foundation: The risk of cardiovascular disease in individuals with psoriasis and the potential impact of current therapies. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014 Jan;70(1):168-77.
- 2013 Kircik L, Lebwohl MG, Del Rosso JQ, Bagel J, Stein Gold L, Weiss JS. Clinical study results of desoximetasone spray, 0.25% in moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. J Drugs Dermatol. 2013 Dec;12(12):1404-10.
- 2013 Tyring S, Bagel J, Lynde C, Klekotka P, Thompson EH, Gandra SR, Shi Y, Kricorian G. Patient-reported outcomes in moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis with scalp involvement: results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of etanercept. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2013 Jan;27(1):125-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2011.04394.x. Epub 2011 Dec 21.
- 2012 Kimball AB, Alavian C, Alora-Palli M, Bagel J. Weight loss in obese patients with psoriasis can be successfully achieved during a course of phototherapy. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2012 Dec;26(12):1582-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2011.04361.x. Epub 2011 Nov 30.
- 2012 Bagel J, Lynde C, Tyring S, Kricorian G, Shi Y, Klekotka P. Moderate to severe plaque psoriasis with scalp involvement: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of etanercept. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 Jul;67(1):86-92.
- 2012 Hsu S, Papp KA, Lebwohl MG, Bagel J, Blauvelt A, Duffin KC, Crowley J, Eichenfield LF, Feldman SR, Fiorentino DF, Gelfand JM, Gottlieb AB, Jacobsen C, Kalb RE, Kavanaugh A, Korman NJ, Krueger GG, Michelon MA, Morison W, Ritchlin CT, Stein Gold L, Stone SP, Strober BE, Van Voorhees AS, Weiss SC, Wanat K, Bebo BF Jr. Consensus guidelines for the management of plaque psoriasis. Arch Dermatol. 2012 Jan;148(1):95-102. doi: 10.1001/archdermatol.2011.1410.
- 2011 Lapolla W, Yentzer BA, Bagel J, Halvorson CR, Feldman SR. A review of phototherapy protocols for psoriasis treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011 May;64(5):936-49. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2009.12.054. Epub 2011 Mar 22.
- 2011 Jerry Bagel, M.D. Adalimumab Plus Narrowband Ultraviolet B Light Phototherapy for the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Psoriasis, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, April 2011.
- 2010 Zeichner JA, Lebwohl MG, Menter A, Bagel J, Del Rosso JQ, Elewski BE, Feldman SR, Kircik LH, Koo J, Gold LS, Tanghetti E; Psoriasis Process of Care Consensus Panel. Optimizing topical therapies for treating psoriasis: a consensus conference. Cutis. 2010 Sep;86(3 Suppl):5-31; quiz 32.
- 2010 Bagel, J. Treatment of Pediatric Psoriasis: Practical Dermatology, September 2010
- 2009 Bagel, J. Topical Therapies for the Treatment of Plaque Psoriasis: Cutaneous Medicine for the Practitioner, Vol. 84, No. 4S pgs. 3-13, October 2009
- 2009 Kalb RE, Bagel J, Korman NJ, Lebwohl MG, Young M, Horn EJ, Van Voorhees AS; National Psoriasis Foundation. Treatment of intertriginous psoriasis: From the Medical Board of National Psoriasis Foundation: J Am Acad Dermatology, 2009 January; 60 (1): pgs. 120-124
- 2009 Bagel, J. Understanding PML and Risks Associated with Biologic Therapies: Practical Dermatology, Vol. 6, No. 5 pgs. 26-27, May 2009.
- 2009 Bagel, J. Treatment of Effective Therapy: Lead Psoriasis Patients Along the Path to Clearance, Practical Dermatology ,Vol. 6, No. 2 , pgs. 42-47, February 2009.
- 2009 Bagel, J. LCD Plus NB-UVB reduces Time to Improvement of Psoriasis vs. NB-UVB Alone, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, Vol. 8 Issue 4 April 2009.
- 2009 Kalb RE, Bagel J, Korman NJ, Lebwohl MG, Young M, Horn EJ, Van Voorhees AS; Treatment of intertiginous psoriasis: From the Medical Board of the National Psoriasis Foundation, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Vol. 60, Issue 1, January, 2009.
- 2008 Bagel, J. Topical Psoriasis Therapy: Patients’ Experiences, Physicians’ Perceptions Don’t Always Match, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 5, No. 2, pgs 58-61, February, 2008.
- 2008 Kircik L1, Bagel J, Korman N, Menter A, Elmets CA, Koo J, Yang YC, Chiou CF, Dann F, Stevens SR; Unite Study Group. Utilization of Narrow-Band Ultraviolet Light B Therapy and Etanercept for the Treatment of Psoriasis (UNITE): Efficacy, Safety, and Patient-Reported Outcomes, Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, January, 2008.
- 2008 Lebwohl M1, Bagel J, Gelfand JM, Gladman D, Gordon KB, Hsu S, Kalb RE, Kimball AB, Korman NJ, Krueger GG, Mease P, Morison WL, Paller A, Pariser DM, Ritchlin C, Strober B, Van Voorhees A, Weinstein GD, Young M, Horn L. From the Medical Board of the National Psoriasis Foundation: Monitoring and vaccinations in patients treated with biologics for psoriasis, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Vol. 58, No. 1 pgs 94-105, January, 2008.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Be Prepared to Treat Pustular Psoriasis—An Uncommon Variant, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 12, pg. 43, December, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Choosing the Safest Psoriasis Treatment for Women of Childbearing Potential, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 11, pg. 50-51, November, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Effective Strategies To Treat Intertriginous Psoriasis, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 10, pg. 54-58, October, 2007.
- 2007 Jerry Bagel, M.D., Responding to the Potential Effects of Obesity on Psoriasis, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 9, pg. 46-47, September, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Building Long-Term Relationships as a Patient Caregiver, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 8, pg. 53-54, August, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Get Familiar with the Biologics Safety Dance, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 7, pg. 17-18, July, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Guidelines for Use of PUVA and Tips for Success, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 6, pg. 56-57, June, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Psoriasis Research You and Your Patients Can Take to the Bank, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 5, pg. 56-58, May, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Exploring Off-Label Use of Biologics for Dermatologic Indications, Practical Dermatology, Vol.4, No.5, pg.56-58. April, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. et al., Assessment and tracking of long-term alefacept safety, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Vol.56, Issue 2, Supplement 2, February, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. et al. National Psoriasis Foundation Clinical Consensus on Disease Severity, Archives of Dermatology, Vol. 143, February, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. Evaluating the Risks and Benefits of Soriatane, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 2, pg. 82-84, February, 2007.
- 2007 Bagel, J. New Perspectives on Methotrexate and Liver Biopsies, Practical Dermatology, Vol. 4, No. 1, pg. 74-75, January, 2007.
- 2006 Bagel, J. How and When to Use Cyclosporine in Psoriasis Care, Practical Dermatology, Vol..3, No. 12., pg. 58-61, December, 2006.
- 2006 Bagel, J. Practical Dermatology: In the Pipeline: Promising Early Data for a New Biologic. November, 2006: 3:11 pg. .25-26.
- 2006 Bagel, J. Practical Dermatology: Approaches to Difficult-to-Treat Psoriasis in Specialized Areas. October, 2006: 3:10 pg 48-50.
- 2006 Koo JY, Bagel J, Sweetser MT, Ticho BS. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, Alefacept in combination with ultraviolet B phototherapy for the treatment of chronic plaque psoriasis: results from an open-label, multicenter study ( the “Manuscript”). July/August, 2006
- 2006 Bagel, J. Unlock the Benefits of Phototherapy for Psoriasis: Practical Dermatology, April, 2006: pg. 41
- 2005 Bagel, J. Psoriasis Combination Therapy: Psoriasis Forum
- 2005 Bagel, J. Decision points for the initiation of systemic treatment for psoriasis: Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 53:101, 2005
- 2005 Bagel, J. Chordoma Cutis: Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 52:S105, 2005
- 2002 Lowe NJ, Gonzalez J., Bagel, J., et al. Repeat courses of intravenous alefacept in patients with chronic plaque psoriasis provide consistent safety and efficacy. Int J Dermatol 2003;42:224-230.
- 2002 Bagel, J. A guide to Introducing Biologic Therapies for Psoriasis into Clinical Practice: Precept Medical Communication
- 2001 Ellis CN, Krueger GG; Alefacept Clinical Study Group.. Treatment of Chronic Plaque Psoriasis by Selective Targeting of Memory Effector T Lymphocytes: New England Journal of Medicine, 345:248, 2001
- 1999 Bagel, J. Establishing a Practical and Effective Psoriasis Treatment Center: Dermatologic Clinics of North America, April, 2000
- 1998 Bagel J, Garland WT, Breneman D, Holick M, Littlejohn TW, Crosby D, Faust H, Fivenson D, Nichols J. Administration of DAB389IL-2 to patients with recalcitrant psoriasis: A double-blind, phase II multicenter trial; Journal of American Academy of Dermatology, 38:938, 1998
- 1985 Bagel, J. Subcutaneous Nodules in Pseudomas Septicemia; American Journal of Medicine, 80:528, 1986
- 1985 Bagel, J. Hemorrhagic Bullae Associated with Morganella Morganii Septicemia; Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 12:575, 1985
- 1985 Bagel, J. Wavelength Dependence for 4’, 5’ – Monoadduct Formulation in UVA Irradiated 8-Methoxypsoralen and Calf Thymus DNA; Photochemistry and Photobiology, 42:95, 1985
- Jerry Bagel, MD, MS: Bimekizumab shows rapid, effective treatment of plaque psoriasis
- Jerry Bagel: Addressing Comorbidities in Plaque Psoriasis
- Jerry Bagel, MD: Starting the Treatment Process for Plaque Psoriasis
- Jerry Bagel: Approaching Psoriasis Treatment Based on Location
- Jerry Bagel, MD: Evolution of Psoriasis Treatment Means Better Results for Patients
- Research in Eczema Is Lacking, Despite Progress in Psoriasis
- Jerry Bagel, MD, from the Psoriasis Treatment Center of Central New Jersey: Moving Beyond Tar and Lights in Treatment of Plaque Psoriasis
- Jerry Bagel, MD, Explains How to Measure Success in Psoriasis Treatment
"For several years I have been ‘attacked’ by psoriasis on my entire body… It was recommended that I see Dr Bagel, so I made an appointment. Dr Bagel examined me and said he was going to help me. After my second set of shots the itching just went away and my psoriasis is just erasing from my body…I am looking forward to getting even clearer and finally be able to wear shorts this summer. Thank you Dr Bagel!"Robert O.
"After being treated by my dermatologist for psoriasis and getting no results. I decided to try Windsor Dermatology although it is not close to my home, I knew I made the right choice after meeting evaluated by Dr Bagel. He made a plan for me which involved UV Therapy. The UV team was professional and worked with my schedule to reach my desired goal….I would like to recommend Dr Bagel and the entire Windsor Dermatology team for all your dermatological needs!"Daniel C.
"For the past 16 years I suffered from a very severe condition of psoriasis. I have tried everything … nothing worked. For 16 years my skin was on fire with no hope in sight. The first time I came to Windsor Dermatology, Dr Bagel said he was going to make me feel like a new man. I told him he didn’t know what he was talking about. 30 days later I was feeling like I hadn’t felt for so long. My life has completely turned around. I feel normal again."Steve S.
"I came to see Dr. Bagel due to severe itching in my head and psoriasis on my legs, back, and head. Within one month my psoriasis was gone! I was also starting to experience joint pain behind my knees and legs, this is subsided…In all, my psoriasis is gone and I have no psoriasis at all on my head or body. I am very satisfied with the results of treatment and care that I have received with Dr. Bagel and his entire staff has been a wonderful experience. I will highly recommend them to anyone."Vicki D.